Thursday, November 5, 2009

Response to "Her Point Is" & "As He Himself Puts It"

When writing, "Her Point Is" states that it can be hard to not place your own biases and opinions into information that you are trying to summarize. One can easily summarize information incorrectly and this makes the audience less convinced by the author, especially if the author is trying to persuade. I know that it's important to summarize text accurately, and this will eventually make your own words more reliable. It's useful to include the author's opinion about what is being said about the topic to further your argument, and to include all information that could help with proving your claim. I know now that in a summary, you should focus on what you as a writer are trying to argue against or support. The information that you include in your summary should be directly related to what you are discussing in the essay but it should not have any bias included in it. It should be true but focused. I think that it could be hard to not add your own opinion in a summary sometimes, but it should come after the summary is made as to not confuse the audience and you will be seen as a more reliable writer if you practice this. Something I have never thought about before was that sometimes what you think could be a claim that supports or denies your thesis could actually be only part of someone else's argument and not actually related to what you are talking about. When looking for information to include in a paper, I should always check to make sure that what the author is discussing actually has to do with my topic and is not just being interpreted as related.
I've realized that I am guilty of including "list summarizes" that just use boring words like "and," "also," and "in addition to" so I should probably work on this in my future writing so that I do not bore my audience.
I found the section on summarizing satirically to be entertaining and I enjoy seeing it in others' writings, but I think that I would be too scared to actually use this approach in my own essays. I think that if I were to use this form of argument then I would have to be very confident in my opinion and criticism.
I think that the section on using signal verbs that better describe what the person is saying was useful. I feel that I always use the boring ways of introducing an opinion, and these examples will be helpful when writing my next research paper. It gives a lot more emotion to the essay and it makes it more interesting to read.
I have always found that I like to use quotations in my essays and other writings a lot more than summaries. I think that it is easier to include them in my writing and it shows the opinion of someone else clearly compared to my own opinion. I've found that when reading my peers' essays and if they include too many quotations and not enough analysis or explanation, it is frustrating to read. It's especially annoying when a quotation is at the end of a paragraph with no commentary about it. I think that it is very foolish to assume that a quotation says everything that you mean to say and to just leave it without any response.
I think that sometimes, however, I do include quotations that are not directly connected to my main points of my writing. I think that every writer needs to make sure that when their essay is done, the quotations they have included all tie in with their thesis.
It is also very important to keep in mind that every quotation needs to be introduced properly into the text and then followed by your own opinion. I think that creating a "hybrid text" is something everyone should try to do. The essay should be balanced and include enough evidence and commentary to show the author's point.
I think that I sometimes do include too much commentary, but I was glad to read that too much analysis of a quotation is more appreciated than having too little.
I found the templates that were included about introducing quotations also to be helpful. It is so boring to just say "he says" or "she thinks" and I think that I will use these next time I am writing an essay. Also, the templates on explaining quotations will also be useful next time I am composing a paper. I think that most of these templates provided in this book are very functional for writing essays and make it a lot easier.

1 comment:

  1. You wrote, "I think that I sometimes do include too much commentary, but I was glad to read that too much analysis of a quotation is more appreciated than having too little."

    I have always had the opposite problem and thought the quote said it all, what more could I add. I had to teach myself to add my own commentary, especially after the quote.

    ReplyDelete